HomeBoundResources.com

HomeBoundResources.com
Tammy I. Glenn, Founder and CEO

Welcome Caregivers!

(To skip to this week's post, scroll down...)

Special needs situations, like those we find in a home healthcare setting, demand special responses.

The fact that you’ve registered to participate in this blog is a sign that you are in a special needs situation. You are probably under a tremendous amount of stress and strain – both physically and emotionally – and you probably feel very alone right now.

Take heart…you are not alone.

For what it’s worth, the National Family Caregivers Association (visit their website at www.thefamilycaregiver.org/about/) estimates that there are approximately 54 million people in the nation currently caring for someone in need.It’s not an easy road, and that’s why I’ve created HomeBoundResources.com.

Let's not reinvent the wheel. Together, as a community, we are the experts in collecting and sharing the most important resources, information, and help for people who are challenged by a home healthcare situation.I really do care about how caregivers and patients achieve the highest standard of living possible. To that end, I recently introduced contributing writers as part of Tammy's Think Tank Team. Everybody benefits by a little help from their friends! Look for interesting articles on Fitness, Relationship Dynamics, Mobility, Overcoming Challenges. If you have an issue that needs addressed, let us know. You'd be surprised by the creative solutions people use!

I understand that every situation is different, and good advice in one situation may not be so appropriate in another. So, please let us know what’s working and what’s not. Visit http://www.homeboundresources.com/, and explore the tips, resources and publications available.

And, if you’ve got some advice of your own on a topic that I’ve written about, please feel free to e-mail your feedback to me. This effort works best when we all help each other.

From My Heart to Yours,
Tammy
Tammy@HomeBoundResources.com

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Good Grief!

Good Grief! I forwarded a link to this new blog out to the http://www.homeboundresources.com/ subscriber base, and received a handful of replies requesting that I remove their names from the list because they were no longer caregivers. One lost her mother, another lost his wife…so heart-wrenching. They collectively said that if I addressed the recovery after the loss, they’d welcome my thoughts. So, this one’s for you guys…

I don’t have to tell you that Attitude is Everything! Sometimes I’ve got it, and sometimes I can’t find it. In the case of my mom, I knew intuitively from the time I was a little girl at the age of eight years old that my mom was likely to die earlier in my life than later. Her health was so fragile, and each year brought a new level of loss to all of us. First she lost the use of her hands, then her ability to live without pain, then her mobility which prompted the use of a urinal and the bedpan.

It wasn’t until I put myself in psychotherapy in my early 30’s that my therapist looked at me and said, “You’re an expert in Loss. You know how to deal with this.”

What a concept! At least in one person’s eyes, I was an expert in the field of Loss. My therapist was correct. Believe me when I tell you that’s a bit intimidating. But, count on Loss to be a certainty, in the same way that we count on Gravity to keep us Earth-bound.

Think of it this way. If you know your Mind, Body and Spirit are about to be flipped upside-down and sideways, how can you best take care of You in order to ride through the Loss you are about to experience.

If you haven’t started with Your Body, let’s start with the basics. Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating healthy and regularly? Did you floss today? Did you look in the mirror and give Your Self positive feedback? Words are very powerful tools, and the words you speak to Your Self have a greater impact than the words of other people.

Once I am doing the best I can to care for My Body, then I reflect on My Mind. My best advice is that when I want to be successful at Loss, I do my homework. I feed my Mind with good information that helps me understand what’s coming down.

One might not always have the luxury of time to prepare, but either way, I suggest you try to intellectualize what’s transpiring in your life. Look for successful role models—because YOU ARE NOT ALONE!—who have achieved balance and success in their struggle. Study how they did it. Pick and choose what you think might work for you and give yourself ample time to process, to prepare and to heal.

I personally saved the Spirit for last because I find that when my Body and Mind are nourished, my Spirit follows along more swiftly. I do have friends, however, who have strong Spirits and an unshakable Faith that allows them to move more gracefully through Loss than I do. In addition to Faith, I have one simple prescription for feeding your Spirit.

Look for experiences, words, smells, tastes, opportunities for touch that are energized with light and happiness. After my mother died, I went to the movies to see “Driving Miss Daisy.” Big Mistake! The content of that film made me sob uncontrollably for 20-30 minutes. For several years after that, I was very careful to select books, movies, experiences that gave me a lot of smiles and laughter.

I was raw with emotion when my mom was diagnosed with a terminal illness, and that emotion lasted for several years after she died. Now was my time to take care of me, and I did that by drawing a line in the sand and filtering who and what surrounded me. On hindsight, it took about eight years after my mom’s death before I enlisted the support of a therapist. I encourage you to explore that option sooner rather than later, but most of all, please don’t be reluctant to seek the help of a professional. They have tools to share with you that will accelerate your healing in ways you would never imagine!

If my father’s ready to share his journey, I’ll encourage him to write the next entry on his recovery. After all, I lost my mom, but he lost his life partner, his best friend, his lover, his wife. He was fortunate in that he knew her death was imminent and he made a healing plan for himself for when she died. What’s even more extraordinary about my father is that he had the courage to implement the plan and follow through even when his heart was breaking. He forced himself outside of his comfort zone, to date, to make new friends, and to break into new social scenes. Fast forward 17 years later and he is living one of the most fulfilling times in his entire life! I couldn’t be happier or more proud of having a father with that kind of strength.

If you haven’t found that yet, keep searching. I’m confident you will find it, too!

By the way, if you’d like to subscribe to the http://www.homeboundresources.com/ website, check out the sign-up box on the home page of the website!

And, don't forget! If you're going to experience Grief, think about it with a good attitude. Think, "Good Grief!"

No comments:

Post a Comment