HomeBoundResources.com

HomeBoundResources.com
Tammy I. Glenn, Founder and CEO

Welcome Caregivers!

(To skip to this week's post, scroll down...)

Special needs situations, like those we find in a home healthcare setting, demand special responses.

The fact that you’ve registered to participate in this blog is a sign that you are in a special needs situation. You are probably under a tremendous amount of stress and strain – both physically and emotionally – and you probably feel very alone right now.

Take heart…you are not alone.

For what it’s worth, the National Family Caregivers Association (visit their website at www.thefamilycaregiver.org/about/) estimates that there are approximately 54 million people in the nation currently caring for someone in need.It’s not an easy road, and that’s why I’ve created HomeBoundResources.com.

Let's not reinvent the wheel. Together, as a community, we are the experts in collecting and sharing the most important resources, information, and help for people who are challenged by a home healthcare situation.I really do care about how caregivers and patients achieve the highest standard of living possible. To that end, I recently introduced contributing writers as part of Tammy's Think Tank Team. Everybody benefits by a little help from their friends! Look for interesting articles on Fitness, Relationship Dynamics, Mobility, Overcoming Challenges. If you have an issue that needs addressed, let us know. You'd be surprised by the creative solutions people use!

I understand that every situation is different, and good advice in one situation may not be so appropriate in another. So, please let us know what’s working and what’s not. Visit http://www.homeboundresources.com/, and explore the tips, resources and publications available.

And, if you’ve got some advice of your own on a topic that I’ve written about, please feel free to e-mail your feedback to me. This effort works best when we all help each other.

From My Heart to Yours,
Tammy
Tammy@HomeBoundResources.com

Monday, May 30, 2011

Express Your SELF!

I know from experience that the benefits of having an outlet for creative expression helps me maintain balance in my life critical to the health of my Mind, Body and Spirit. Dedicating time to creativity and self-expression also is an area that takes a backseat on a regular basis. I’m reminded of this given that my father is a professional musician and my husband is a professional artist.

The dominant part of their time is spent on their craft. Meanwhile, I’m just trying to make it down my checklist to see if I have 45 minutes left in the day to squeeze in my workout and to practice guitar. My dad and my husband, however, spend hours writing music, practicing horns, sketching and painting. At the end of the day, they’ll tell me they are still searching for that one melody or that one canvas that’s just perfect.

Having lived with two artisans for so many years, I know there may be another driver at work. No matter what else draws on their attention, they both always have something to look forward to. Neither rest on their laurels talking about the song, book or painting they someday will produce. Instead, they’re busy toiling away at their heart’s desire. What a delicious way to live your life!

Intuitively in my early 20’s, I must have known the impact of pursuing a personal dream. My mother, as you may know had been bedbound for years. At this point in my 20’s, she was diagnosed with a relatively painless, but terminal Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, and given weeks to live. I was devastated at the thought of losing my mom—and bound and determined to do everything to keep her.

To that end, I wanted everything about her. I wanted every recipe recorded, every story, every piece of advice. Selfishly, I hired a journalism student, Brenda, from my alma mater to work with her on “Katrin’s Korners,” a book my mom had always talked about writing, but never made time to write. Brenda spent 10 hours a week with her on this project.

Admittedly, Brenda offered my mother a level of attention, respect and patience that I would not have. In those hours they spent together, my mother documented for me and my sisters all the short stories we’d heard growing up. The early stories start around the time of the Great Depression, then move to World War II and birth of the Big Band Era, and the revolution of women and the coming of the 21st Century. One theme I picked up on is that no matter the mood around her, my mom was determined to make lemons into lemonade. She lived her whole life that way. The terminal weeks predicted for my mother turned into months, and the months turned into more than a year. It might have been the book project that stretched the weeks for us, but in my heart I believe there is a Greater Spirit that makes the universe tick.

When I founded HomeBoundResources.com, posting my mother’s book, “Katrin’s Korners” was one of my first goals. It took a few years, but it’s there now for the world to read.

In celebration of this month’s theme in www.DisabledDealerMagazine.com, I’ve discounted the books on the website to less than $10. Please check them out at http://www.homeboundresources.com/publications.html, and I hope my mom serves as an inspiration to you.

Don’t wait any longer to pursue your passions. Seize today and discover how much your creativity can energize your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment